When talking about a cartoon show using the word hate seems a little, childish/harsh. The fact of the matter is the more I look into the show the more I find it really irritating. So here are my top five reasons to hate Peppa Pig, as a Dad.
5) Manners. The lack of them to be more correct, Wonder-wife and I try to instill good manners in our children. I would ask just for the basic “Please” and “Thank you” without having to ask or knowing when to use it. It is hard to when this show is not about using manners
Peppa Pig “Daddy Daddy. I want this…(insert what ever today’s episode theme)”
Daddy Pig “Hmmm… I don’t know Pe..”
Peppa Pig interrupting “Pleeeeeeease.”
Daddy “Oh, alright then, here you go.”
Hey kids only use your manners when you don’t get what you want straight away.
4) Sexist. Not just normal sexist but massive Daddy bashing. Dad pig is an expert at being… well an idiot most of the time according to the show. He is down right hopeless at well most things. He can’t find the engine in the campervan to put the oil in; forgets the picnic baskets, can’t read maps…. the list goes on. Daddy Pig is portrayed as being well hopeless. I know as dads we can cop lots of flack for not being on top of everything, and for being silly – lets face it what is the point of being serious all the time. The issue I have is that Daddy pig may as well not be there some times as he forget things, stuffs things up, patronized if he gets something right, and heaven forbid if he ever utters the words don’t worry I’m an expert… He is going to fail.
3) Peppa is spoiled. She always gets her own way. When deciding on where to go on there holiday, Mummy pig give three options, Daddy likes Potatoland but Peppa want to go to DuckLand, and does not wait for an answer just jumps back on into the campervan and expect that is where they are going, asking how are they getting there. Pepper never seems to get into trouble even when she is not being good, playing up at night or doing things she is not meant to, like eating on the bus even though she got told to wait till the picnic, all she got was an just make sure you leave some for the picnic.
2) Educational value. There is a lack of educational value e.g. “What’s and Echo?” “An echo is the sound you hear in the mountains” well it’s a sound bouncing back, which your voice does in the mountains – or a large room or somewhere with lots of hard surfaces. Leaving that a side one episode Edward knows a lot about dinosaurs, “Edward knows lots about dinosaurs he is a cleaver clogs.” What? The show insults a kid for being smart? Is this just starting a kid on the path to being a bully?
1) Jealous at of how Daddy and Mummy pig can stay so calm. I have to admit I wish I could manage to keep as cool even if there are really cross with the kids for doing something. I know its not real and its written to make kids feel good about them selves, but it also makes parents feel bad for loosing it with they little one because they didn’t have a full sleep or is stressed because of work or something.
What gets me is that even with the five listed reasons to hate Peppa Pig, I still have a CD in the car and let the books around for my kids. I gave five reasons to hate Peppa Pig but deep down I don’t think I hate Peppa Pig, but I sure am glad we have Thomas and Dinosaur Train.
Till next time