Tomorrow is Roald Dahl’s birthday which has been officially retitled ROALD DAHL DAY!
And, like every Aussie child of the 80’s, I grew up mesmerized by the magical worlds of his books. People tend to go on about Charlie & the Chocolate Factory or Matilda but the book that was my Dahl favourite was The Twits; I’ve always wanted to stick all of my furniture to the ceiling!
To celebrate and spread the word about Roald Dahl Day, I have joined many bloggers across the globe in creating a craft for Little E inspired by a Roald Dahl book and, as per above, it’s all about The Twits. Mr Twit in fact, and his revolting, gross, food storing beard:
Mr Twit’s Beard: Dress-up & Game
You will need:
- 3 x A4 pieces of brown felt
- Fabric scissors
- Black marker
- 2 x rubber bands
- sewing machine (or needle & thread if you’re crazy enthusiastic!)
- coloured foam or cardboard
Little E is currently mad about fancy dress and loves wearing random bits of costumes out & about. It’s been a while since I’ve gotten my dad-craft on so what better to create than a new dress-up item for him that can also be played with?
1. Start by cutting out a bumpy beard shape from one of the A4 pieces of brown felt.
4. Sew a rubber band onto each top corner of the main beard; these will loop over the ears to hold the beard onto your kid’s face.
Little E decided that he wasn’t in a dress-up mood today (the only day in the past month!) and screamed his head off when I tried to put the beard on him. So Phenom-A-Mum swooped in for the rescue and to be the hirsute model. It’s a little scary how good she looks in a beard!
Although he wouldn’t wear the beard he loved placing the foam food into the pockets so that it looked just like Mr Twit’s gross-out facial hair complete with snack-on-later leftovers.
I wonder how long before Little E starts hiding real food in the pockets? Ugh!
Which is your favourite Roald Dahl book?
Latest posts by David Hawkins (see all)
- Oz Comic Con 2016 – Family Fun in Melbourne - June 11, 2016
- Pom-pom Judy Hopps Doll – Spotlight Zootopia Craft - March 25, 2016
- GIVEAWAY! – Take the family to Oz Comic-Con Melbourne - March 18, 2016